I am your Buddy Mr. Connect…….!!
Kindly go through the below terms & definitions used for EMS audit that would help you understand this important ISO standard.
Brief of ISO 14001: ISO 14001 is suitable for all types and sizes of organizations viz-a-viz private, non-profit or government. It requires that an organization considers all environmental issues relevant to its operations, such as air pollution, noise pollution, water and sewage issues, waste management, soil contamination, climate change mitigation and adaptation, and resource use and efficiency. It helps the organizations in many ways such as:- how to identify, manage, monitor and control their environmental issues.
Nowadays many organizations of different natures & concepts are adopting the ISO 14001 standards & getting their organizations certified in order to support the Environmental management systems in relevant ways.
Terms and definitions used for Environmental management system Audit:
- Auditor: Person who has the competence to conduct an audit
- Continual improvement: It’s a recurring process of enhancing the environmental management system in order to achieve improvements in overall environmental performance consistent with the organization’s Environmental policy
- Corrective action: Its an action to eliminate the cause of a detected Non-conformity
- Documents: Its an Information tool and its supporting medium however, The medium can be paper, magnetic, electronic, Photograph or a Combination of all thereof.
- Environment: Surrounding in which an organization operates, including air, water, land, natural resources, flora, etc. (Surroundings in this contest extend from within an organization to the global system.)
- Environmental aspect: Element of organizational activities or products that can interact with the environment. (A significant environmental aspect has or can have a significant impact.)
- Environmental impact: Any change to the environment whether adverse or beneficial, wholly or partially resulting from an Organization’s environmental aspects.
- Environmental management system (EMS): It is the part of an organization’s management system used to develop and implement its environmental policy and manage its environmental aspects, however, the Management system is a set of interrelated elements used to establish policy and objective and to achieve those objectives.
- Environmental objective: Overall environmental goal, consistent with the environmental policy that an organization sets itself to achieve.
- Environmental performance: Measurable results an organization’s management of its environmental aspects, however, in the context of EMS the results can also be measured by the organization’s environmental policy, environmental objectives, Environmental targets, and other Environmental performance requirements.
- Environmental policy: Overall intentions and direction of an organization related to its environmental performance as formally expressed by top management, however, the environmental policy provides a framework for action and or the setting of environmental and Environmental targets.
- Environmental target: Detailed performance requirements, applicable to the organization or parts thereof, that arise from the Environmental objectives and need to be set and met in order to achieve those objectives
- Interested party: Person or group concerned with or affected by the environmental performance of an organization.
- Internal audit: Systematic, independent and documented process for obtaining audit evaluating it objectively to determine the extent to which the environmental management system audit criteria set by the organization are fulfilled, however, In many cases, particularly in a smaller organization, independence can be demonstrated by the freedom from responsibility for the activity being audited.
- Non-conformity: Non-fulfilment of a requirement [ISO 9000:2000]
- Organization: Company, corporation, firm, enterprise, authority or institution, or part or combination thereof, whether incorporated or not, public or private, that it has own functions and administration, however, For organizations with more than one operating unit or a single operating unit may also be defined as an organization.
- Preventive action: Its an action to eliminate the cause of potential Non-conformity
- Prevention of pollution: Use of processes, practices, materials, products, services or energy to avoid, reduce or control(separately or in combination) the creation, emission or discharge of any type of pollutant or waste, in order to reduce adverse environmental impacts, however, Prevention of pollution can include source reduction or elimination, product or service change, efficient use of resources, material, and energy substitution, revenue, recovery, recycling, reclamation, and treatment.
- Procedure: Specified way to carry out an activity or process however, Procedures can be documented or not.
- Record: Documents stating result achieved or providing evidence of activities performed
Hope you have enough insight into this critical aspect.
For any clarification, counseling session, Professional Services Solutions you may connect with us at 011-42440037, E-Mail us at email@example.com or you may even raise your requirement/query at https://collarsconnect.com/corporate-query.
We shall be happy to assist you.